Monday, November 10, 2008

American Heritage Dictionary defines love <--
It's amazing to me how even with all the different definitions, none can really fully describe what love is.  It's so much more than a feeling.  So much more than attraction.  Beyond that, love is hardly ever cut and dry.  It's complicated and confusing.  Sometimes it's selfless, sometimes entirely selfish.  Sometimes it's euphoric, others it's dysphoric.  It's something you can give or receive... but also can just have within you.

1 John 4 says that God is love.  God loves us when no one else does.  He loves us when many others love us.  He loves us when we are defiant and when we are obedient.

Our actions can show our love.  The choices we make can reflect the inner love we have for someone, something.  

I don't believe that knowing something is wrong means that you are absent of love for that person.  Not at all.  Sometimes love is illogical, sometimes it can't save you from what God is revealing.  Yet, God is still love.  And indeed, when we are the most lost and confused, even to the point where we find ourselves wondering if we have any idea what love is, He is there, loving us more than we could ever deserve.

Much more than I could ever deserve.

There is nothing I can do to ever make up for this love, but out of love I choose to try.  Not to try to earn God's love, no one can do that.  Rather I choose to try to show my love every chance I get.

I John 4:9-10: This is how God showed his love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

No comments: